Justin, Jill, Jason and Jeffrey

Justin, Jill, Jason and Jeffrey

Sunday, November 22, 2009

It's a BOY!

It's a GIRL BOY!

We were originally told at my 20 week ultrasound that we were having a girl, but found out at 28 weeks that they made a mistake, and the baby is a boy. Below were my thoughts after the 20 week appointment and what I originally wrote for this blog post.

On October 20th, we had our big ultrasound appointment. We had been eagerly anticipating this appointment, for we knew that we'd get to find out the sex of the baby. Some people like to wait until birth, but I would be a wreck if I didn't find out. In fact, I knew that I would not do a single thing to the new baby's room, which is currently kind of a junk room, until I found out boy or girl. Our doctor announced to us about halfway through the ultrasound that we were going to have a girl and I actually started crying, I was just so excited! How lucky are we to get a boy and a girl. We truly feel blessed. Jason is very excited that he is going to have a little sister, and says he will take good care of her and be nice to her. Although he has told us at least twice that he is going to want a little brother too. I think as we get closer to the due date he will start to get a better idea of what to expect as we begin to get the nursery ready and talk with him more about the baby's arrival. In the meantime, we are trying to spend as much time together as a family as possible. Everything is about to change, and we really want to enjoy this special time with him.



We have also decided on a name, she will be Jordan Lucy. Jordan was my paternal grandmother's maiden name, and Lucy is my maternal great-grandmother's name. We can hardly wait to meet our little girl.


At 28 weeks we went in for another ultrasound, both Justin and Jason came with me, and much to our surprise we found out that the baby was in fact a boy. Needless to say, we were surprised.

I've had a lot of people ask me if I was disappointed, but I can honestly say I was not, and remain very excited about now having a boy. In some ways having another boy will be easier, most of our baby gear is for a boy, we already have a stock-pile of boy clothes, and I've always wanted Jason to have a little brother. I also already had a boy name picked out, Jeffrey Michael. I think I've had it picked out since I was pregnant with Jason.

I also think I must have subconsciously known that this baby was NOT a girl. All before the 20 week ultrasound, I thought the baby was a boy. Even after being told at 20 weeks we were going to have a girl, I did not go out and buy anything pink! How weird is that? OK, I did buy one thing, it was a little bib that said "I Love Daddy" in pink with pink trim, but that was all I could commit to. The only other thing we bought, and this was a week before the 28 week ultrasound, was a bedding set, and that was only because I felt like we were running out of time and needed to get that room painted. Luckily, we were able to return the bedding, and I got to get the upholstered glider and ottoman I wanted. All in all, it hasn't been that hard a transition for me to go from having a daughter to now another son.

Jason on the other hand has had to adjust. We had worked so hard on getting him to understand that the baby was going to be his little sister, that I think he thought we were teasing him all of a sudden when we switched to boy. I think he is getting the hang of it now and is finally convinced that the doctor made a mistake and now he is having a little brother.

The other thing that really surprised me is that as I've been telling people "No, actually we found out that the baby is in fact a boy," I have had numerous people tell me that that the same thing happened to their sister or a friend. I had not really heard of this happening very often, but now I've heard so many stories now, and people finding out at delivery or right before their due date that the what they were originally told was wrong. It just goes to show that ultrasounds are not 100% accurate (just as advertised).

When it comes down to it, we really just want a happy and healthy baby, and everything looks good, so we are happy! We truly feel blessed.

Below is a picture from our 28 week ultrasound. I know its hard to tell, but I think he looks like Jason!

No comments: